Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Review - Saints Behaving Badly


Aquinas and More Catholic Goods - For all your Catholic needs

Saints Behaving Badly
Saints Behaving Badly


I just finished reading Saints Behaving Badly by Thomas J. Craughwell. I have to admit that if I hadn't seen an advertisement in a Catholic magazine for the book, I would have been a bit turned off by the title because I can imagine someone with anti-Catholic sentiments gleefully trying to slander our saints.

I found Saints Behaving Badly to be a quick, easy, and fascinating read.  The author went into greater detail about some of the saints' follies than I had previously read in other books.  The take home message that no matter how far you fall into sin, you can always repent, convert, and lead a life of sanctity was comforting to me.

However, I have to say that the cover image and the little icons of angels and devils in the book bothered me.  I can't stand it when satan is portrayed in a cute or comic manner because I believe it lessens the impact of his evil.  By using an illustration of a saint with a devil's pointed tail, I believe the author and/or publisher either doesn't respect the saints or doesn't believe in the depth of satan's evil.  (I tend to think this was the publisher's decision since the book itself is very respectful toward the saints.)

All-in-all, I think that Saints Behaving Badly is worthwhile reading, especially for a busy mom like me who doesn't seem to be able to find a lot of time to sit and focus on more heady subject matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment