Friday, July 27, 2012

Parental Watch List - Books that Include Abortion

It should be no surprise that I am pro-life, as I am a practicing Catholic mother of at least 4 children.  In my leisure reading, I have found many casual references to abortion and I feel that people, especially parents, should be made aware of these books.  I am not encouraging book banning, as I believe that some of these books have many redeeming qualities.  However, I feel that parents need to be aware if their children are reading these books so that they can provide parental guidance and open a discussion regarding life issues.

**Keep in mind that the following may include plot spoilers**


  • Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg - All-in-all, this is a cute story about a spunky girl who grows up in a quirky, struggling family.  Some parts are a bit off-color, there is fornication, and marriages break up, but the title character overcomes.  However, in one scene, a character goes to procure an abortion and learns that the abortionist has a successful front business because she knows everyone's "dirty" secrets.
  • The Color of Water by James McBride - This is a riveting read about religion and race relations and the son who grows up in a mixed-race, mixed-religion family.  Just be warned that a character is basically coerced into getting an abortion when she finds herself pregnant at the age of 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment